Seeing Ourselves will introduce American audiences to historical and contemporary photographic masterpieces that were previously unknown to them, or familiar only as reproductions. The exhibition will be organized in broad and accessible subject-based groupings that represent more than 150 years of excellence. The groupings reflect the ways contemporary viewers know photography, thus linking their understanding of the present to the practices of the past. Seeing Ourselves gives broad public exposure and accessible context to the impact of photography on our nation. This travelling exhibition was assembled by and is discussed by Alison Nordstrom, who is the curator of Photographs at George Eastman House.
- All Photographs are from the George Eastman House travelling exhibition SEEING OURSELVES except for the portrait of Alison Nordstrom, © 2007 Ross Whitaker.
- HOUSEWIFE IN KITCHEN by Victor Keppler (1904-1987). NEG.38602 1977:0292:0011
- CANYON DE CHELLY, ARIZONA by Ansel Adams (1902–1984). George Eastman House Collection © 2007 The Ansel Adams Publishing Rights Trust.
- ITALIAN FAMILY LOOKING FOR LOST BAGGAGE – ELLIS ISLAND by Lewis Wickes Hine (1874-1940). GEH NEG:3982
- THE OCTOPUS, NEW YORK, 1912 by Alvin Langdon Coburn (1882-1966). 1967:0144:0289
- THE STEERAGE by Alfred Stieglitz (1864-1946). NEG.287961974:0052:0064A
- DICK GREGORY WITH MLK [MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.] NEW POLITICS CONVENTION, CHICAGO, ILL. by Benedict J. Fernandez (b. 1936). 1991:3004:0004
- BABE RUTH by Nickolas Muray (1892-1965). 1977:0188:2448C
- ICE CLIFF OF CRILLON GLACIER, ALASKA by Bradford Washburn (b. 1910). 1991:0562:0007
- A MOTHER AND HER SON AT HER HOME IN BED STY IN BROOKLYN by Eli Reed (b. 1946). 2004:0735:0013
- NAUTILUS by Edward Weston (1886-1958). NEG.37473 1970:0162:0003
- YOUNG RUSSIAN JEWESS, ELLIS ISLAND by Lewis W. Hine (1874-1940). NEG.7290 1977:0177:0148
- A HARVEST OF DEATH, GETTYSBURG, PENNSYLVANIA. by Timothy H. O’Sullivan (1840-1882). NEG.9030 1981:2858:0036
- SOLDIERS’ PORTRAITS—RECEIVED AT DEAD LETTER OFFICE ca. 1864 by an Unidentified Maker. 1985:1095:0001-36
- REACHING OUT, THE DMZ (DURING THE AFTERMATH OF THE TAKING OF HILL 484, SOUTH VIETNAM) by Larry Burrows (1926-1971). 1987:0390:0001
- TERROR OF WAR by Nick Ut (b. 1951).
- OLD GLORY GOES UP ON MT. SURIBACHI, IWO JIMA by Joe Rosenthal (b. 1911). 1981:1678:0001
- PENTAGON DEMONSTRATION, WASHINGTON, D.C., NOVEMBER 1967 by Benedict J. Fernandez (b. 1936). 96:0350:0008
- LONE PINE PEAK, MT. WHITNEY, SIERRA NEVADA, CALIFORNIA by Ansel Adams (1902-1984). NEG.10294 1967:0123:0024
- MIGRANT MOTHER, NIPOMO, CALIFORNIA by Dorothea Lange (1895-1965).
- ADA MACGREGOR AND HER SQUASH: LACROSSE, WISCONSIN by Jim Stone (b. 1947). 1986:0303:0003
- MAGNOLIA BUD By Imogen Cunningham (1883-1976). NEG.24534 1977:0760:0021
All music is from the PodShow podsafe music network.